Wednesday, January 13, 2010

6 Months!

Where has the time gone?!?

I can’t believe it has been 6 months since that very scary moment when we found out that we would be meeting our baby within an hour, 7 weeks early! I was in a whirlwind. I thought the doctor was going to tell me that I had to be on bed rest, possibly even hospital bed rest. But when he told me that I would be delivering my baby within an hour, it was simply unbelievable.

Yes, I remember the shock, the fear (of major surgery as well as the health of my preemie), and the pain (the worst pain i've eer experienced in my life)…but it was all worth it to have this amazing little baby.

Born at 3lbs 10oz, he was such a fighter! He came out screaming (music to my ears), and despite spending 20 days in the NICU, Carter only needed breathing assistance for a short while then spent his time sunbathing (for jaundice), and learning to regulate his temperature and eat. I spent the first 31 hours (before I could meet Carter) trying to make myself believe that I really was a mommy! Mike took our family to visit Carter and brought back pictures for me to see. Yes, I had been pregnant for 33 weeks. Yes, I just had major surgery. Yes, I just heard my baby screaming. It was still almost impossible to believe.

6 months later it is STILL hard to believe!

Carter weighed in today at 12lbs 12oz, 24.5inches (we will get official measurements at his 6 month check up next week). He is rolling around like crazy and loves to sit up and stand (with assistance). Carter constantly chews on his hands and anything else he can get in his mouth. This past week he has been paying more attention to his feet and grabbing them during diaper changes and while sitting up. He is such a happy baby most of the time, smiling and giggling. I love waking up in the morning to his coo’s and giggles, and the huge smile he gives me when I take him out of the swaddle so he can stretch! He sleeps through the night (about 10 hours straight) MOST nights. Yesterday Carter had his first bite of cereal and seems to be getting used to it. In the past couple of days he went from eating 20-24oz of formula per day up to 30-33oz PLUS cereal! I can’t wait to feed him different things like the carrots and apples that I froze.

In just 2 ½ weeks I will be returning to work and missing my baby like crazy, especially during my hour and a half commute each way. I know he will be in good hands with Mike, my dad, and many other family members. I'll admit the past 6 months were not how I expected them to be. I thought I would be taking Carter to mommy and me groups, playdates, story time at the library, and visiting lots of friends. Instead we spent most of our time at home, playing, reading, snuggling in the recliner, staying away from germs that could put Carter back in the hospital. I am thankful everyday for his health and the care, support, and love of all our family and friends.

I guess that about sums it up for now…here are the pictures you’ve all been waiting for.















No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Template-Mama.