We decided to write this blog so that friends and family can all keep up with his progress. So far he is doing very well. Read on for baby Carter's surprise grand entrance story (this part is VERY long)!
Wednesday June 24th I was sent to the hospital to be monitored due to high blood pressure and swelling. They ended up admitting me due to some borderline blood work. Over the next few days my blood pressure, glucose, and protein levels were monitored and I was given steriod shots to help develop Carter's lungs just in case he had to be delivered early. Saturday June 27th I was discharged, no pre-eclampsia (condition in pregnancy that may severely impact liver, kidneys and brain - the only way to treat this condition is delivery of the baby/placenta).
Fast forward to Sunday, July 12th. My blood pressure was high in the morning, but went down when I took my meds. I attended Tammy's bridal shower and mostly relaxed for the afternoon. Before bed I took my blood pressure again - and it was high again! I took my meds, and after an hour my BP was still going up! I called the doctor and was sent to be monitored at the hospital again. BP was high, but proteins were good as was Carter's heart beat. The doctor came in a short time later and said "We're doing a c-section, you're going to have a baby today." And by today, he meant in about an hour! Apparently I had developed pre-eclampsia and it was affecting my liver.
I was in complete shock (had expected maybe to be put back on bed rest...but to have a baby in an HOUR? And he was JUST short of 34 weeks!). They prepped me and took me into the OR. It sure hurt a lot more than I had expected! Carter started screaming as soon as he was out, even before they could suction him! It was such a wonderful sound! After cleaning him up they wheeled him by me so I could see him for about 30 seconds before they took him up to the Special Care Unit.
Within a short while Mike was able to go see little Carter (and take our family/visitors with him), but I was stuck in my room/bed for 24 hours due to medications I had to take. Everyone did a great job of bringing me pictures, but it was still hard to believe that I actually had a baby!
Carter initially had one, semi-collapsed lung and was put on a ventilator, but that was all better within a couple of hours. Since then he just has a feeding tube, IV for antibiotics (preventative), and is in an incubator to control his body temperature. He could be in the hospital as short as one week (quite unlikely) or until his due date. No one really knows as things can change so quickly! The good news is that he hasn't had ANY apnea issues, which is often a problem with preemies.
Finally today, around 11am I was moved up to the post-partum floor and allowed to go see Carter! We stopped by for a few minutes, and after lunch I was allowed to return and hold him. Unfortunately, until he gets a bit bigger/stronger - touching and holding him is very limited.

Finally today, around 11am I was moved up to the post-partum floor and allowed to go see Carter! We stopped by for a few minutes, and after lunch I was allowed to return and hold him. Unfortunately, until he gets a bit bigger/stronger - touching and holding him is very limited.

No comments:
Post a Comment