Thursday, July 23, 2009

UGH - 2 Steps Back....sorta

When we returned to the nicu tonight for Carter's 9pm feeding, this is what we saw...


He's back in the incubator because apparently his temp was too low. However, I doubt it was. All day, if you used the thermometer in his drawer (a cheap-o digital) it was 1 degree lower than their good digital...which makes a huge difference. His temp is supposed to be between 36.5 and 37.4 or so. Well, his temp was 36.2. So add a degree and that's 37.2 - perfect! When i mentioned this to the night nurse, she completely ignored me.

Then, they always weigh him just before the 9pm feeding. So the nurse took his temp (with the good therm) and it read 37. She asked if i wanted to change his diaper...i said yes, but asked if she was going to weigh him first. She said no, because he was still too cold. Ummm....what? So now i don't have his weight for tonight.

Finally i went to feed him, and he was warm and really sleepy - he wouldn't open his eyes, much less nurse. He is NEVER like this when it's time to feed. I usually change his diaper and that makes him so mad he's wide awake, mouth open wide, arms reaching out. After 15-20min. we put him back in his incubator and he was tube fed. Any other nurse would have tried to help, etc.

I'm not worried that he's back in the incubator. I want what is best for him...and he still needs to learn to eat, so no rush. I just think this nurse is too lazy. Tomorrow we may request that she never work with Carter again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Template-Mama.